Role: To maintain a high standard of nursing care within the unit. Ensure that the environment provides an atmosphere, which supports the positive development of the patient’s behaviour and mental state. To supervise and support care staff, ensuring effective professional leadership.
Key Result Areas:
- Ensure that nursing care, assessment and treatment is delivered within the clinical ethos of the unit.
- Provide supervision and support to the care team.
- Maintain a safe environment for patients and staff.
- Ensure that the Senior Nurse Manager is informed of any clinical, administrative or management decisions that have been made on during their absence.
- Work effectively with other professional colleagues ensuring a consistent pattern of care for each individual.
- Assess individual needs in areas agreed by the Multi- disciplinary team.
- Maintain a high standard of record keeping in relation to individual patient needs and progress.
- Assist with and organise admission, leave and discharge of patients.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of individual programmes.
- Take a lead role in the assessment of functional skills, and the implementation of programmes to develop these.
- Positively contribute to the daily activities and treatment programmes.
- Maintain all the financial and administrative procedures in respect of patient’s monies and allocated petty cash for the unit.
- Ensure adherence to policies and procedures relating to financial control within the unit.
- Ensure that all unit policies and procedures are adhered to at all times.
- Ensure that the laid down procedures for the safe – keeping, storage, administration and checking of drugs is carried out.
- Take responsibility for ensuring an up to date knowledge of developments in nursing practice and for maintaining the requirements of PREPP.
- Be responsible for attending in-service training sessions and external courses.
- Be responsible for ensuring that all statutory training requirements are up to date.
- Be competent in the performance of clinical and professional procedures and practices, bringing to the immediate attention of the Hospital Manager any variations in these practices.
- Liaise effectively with all members of the multi- disciplinary team.
- Have in- depth knowledge of the NMC Professional Code of Conduct and Standards of Administration of Medicine and ensure that all practice conforms to these standards.
- Have an understanding of the Care Standards Act 2000 and practice within the requirements of this legislation.
- The post- holder will have access to a wide range of confidential information about patients, staff and the company, which must not be divulged to any unauthorised person in any circumstances.