- The post holder to assist management with general delivery and collection of goods to and from Homes. To carry out general duties as and when required and with full consultation and knowledge of the manager of the Home.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
The post holder will:
- Keep accurate records of all service contracts etc and dates and all inspections.
- Ensure the outside of the building and grounds are maintained to a safe and good standard of repair, carrying out any works with the minimum disturbance to residents and/or staff.
- Carry out routine repairs and monitoring on all systems. Advise on any potential problems to manager, e.g.
- COSHH checks – see relevant forms
- Fire Control log book check
- Emergency lighting
- Nurse call system
- Record of room redecoration
- Attend training days as required on current legislation and procedures in order to keep up top date, especially with Health & Safety and fire prevention, and also staff meetings at manager’s request.
- Make every effort to minimise waste and control cost.
- Ensure tools and equipment are adequately maintained and stored in a place of safety, secured from access by unauthorised persons.
- Ensure all electrical appliances brought into the home by residents, relatives and any other persons are checked by Portable Appliance Testing under the Health and Safety Regulations.
- Regularly check boilers are functioning correctly and room temperature adequate seasonally.
- Ensure that safety and cleanliness within the Home and grounds is to the satisfaction of the Environmental Health, Fire and Safety at Work Regulations.
- Ensure Fire Alarm system is activated weekly to ensure proper working order and results recorded.
- Liaise with the manager and housekeeper with regard to general ‘high’ cleaning and any cleaning that would require assistance in moving heavy furniture, carpet shampooing etc.
- Carry out statutory testing of water services in line with company policy and current codes of practice every six months.
- Read gas, electricity and water meters and record monthly. On the first of each month readings to be reported to manager.
- Use local manual to ensure all special tasks relating to the home are carried out and recorded e.g. de-scaling boilers etc.
- Keep gutters and drainage points clear of leaves and debris.
- Repair fixtures and fittings where possible or liaise with manager if specialist repair is necessary.
- Assist with induction of staff with operation of emergency exists, fire points and evacuation procedures. Keep a record of all instructions given as required by manager, especially where use of equipment is involved.
- Ensure all staff are aware to use the Maintenance Person first for any repairs before calling out any specialist, as the cost implications are high.
- All building works and major refurbishment will be co-ordinated and controlled by the manager.
- When off duty be prepared to give advice over the telephone and/or be called out to the Home in emergencies.